Thursday 6 November 2008

5 boards for worse

As an incremental update to the fourth motherboard for my laptop, this fix seemed to have a loose connection to the speaker (or something), so I'm now on number 5.

The status when the engineer arrived was that the computer worked (except for the speakers). The status when the engineer left was that the BIOS self-tests pass (but nothing else works). The engineer made a hasty exit, citing vista problems. Apparently they will call me back yesterday.

After some fiddling of my own, I can now boot in vista safe mode, but I'm out of my depth diagnosing vista boot issues.

Ironically, I intended to install linux on this machine when I first got it, but I never quite found the time. It would have been a lot easier to work with, but I am aware that according to Dell, changing the OS on a computer invalidates the warranty...

No comments:

Post a Comment