Tuesday 19 August 2008

On a scale of Green to not Green

Keen to reduce our water usage (during that hot, dry week a few weeks ago) I ordered a water butt to use for watering the garden. It seems a good idea to use rain, instead of tap water in the watering can.

I fitted it yesterday and within 24 hours of unspectacular British summer, I had 100 litres of fresh rainwater. It's all very exciting.

But what have I actually saved? It cost quite a lot (£70) including a downpipe so that I could put the water butt where I wanted.

I use about 5 watering cans (of 5 litres) to water the garden, that's 25 litres. If I do that 30 times per year (assuming that there is sufficient water in the butt) then 750 litres per year. It doesn't seem an awful lot.

To put things in perspective,

  • Apparently, having a shower uses 35 litres, flushing the toilet uses 8 litres, so that puts me on about 22,000 litres per year, just from the bathroom.

  • The average water consumption per person is about 140 litres per day, so 51,100 litres per year.

  • A few weeks ago I reported to Yorkshire water that there was a water leak on a busy road in York. It had been leaking for about 6 months. Judging from the amount of water that was going upwards to the road this leak might have been far wetter than our dining room roof during drizzle. So guessing at 200 litres per day, that is 73,000 litres per year.


Ironically, I got stuck in the traffic jam on Sunday caused by the water company fixing the leak.

3 comments:

  1. Do you actually do any work? Surely you have no time left after calculating all that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You of all people know the answer to that! What were you doing at 6:30am this morning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making Traffic Jam is also pretty eco unfriendly. First you need to make all the cars then you expend all that energy boiling them with sugar. At least the jars are recyclable.

    ReplyDelete