Tuesday 28 October 2008

Express Morning Delivery

It all happened fast, relatively speaking anyway. In a blur of NHS organisation, I very nearly delivered the package myself.

Despite us being in the hospital for four hours, a midwife could not be persuaded that we were reaching the end of labour (or take the time to check). Still, a head appearing pretty much made the point and then Daniel was born, 2.87kg (6lb5 in old money). All are doing well, and the hard bit begins (for me anyway).

Speaking of NHS organisation, you'd think that there would be a procedure (or at least a checklist, even a well-oiled routine) for something as important and as frequent as childbirth. Either the procedure has radically changed in the last three years, or everyone just makes it up as they go along and somehow things seem to turn out generally OK.

I am determined that this site does not become yet another series of rants, so I'll end by saying that most of the midwives that we encountered were great!

We don't have any plans to come back though.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you used a suitable go-faster resistor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I don't know who posted that glib comment using my account before. Hope everyone's doing well. And yay! for midwives!

    ReplyDelete