Friday 21 August 2009

Bathroom - day one

If there was a reason for putting off replacing our bathroom, it was because I didn't know how long it would take.  I know that I could manage with a building site for a bathroom (I could use the shower at work), but I'm not sure how we'd bath the kids if it wasn't warm enough for a padding pool. It probably wouldn't be warm enough if it took until November anyway. 

I know how there are always unexpected things that crop up, don't go to plan, or just take a long time.

So, with after a certain amount of peer pressure...we ordered, made a plan and I started.

A plan was carefully crafted to minimize the amount of time that the bath/shower would be out of action. So, I removed the sink and the lino floor. I didn't take a photo when I started, but I did take a photo at this point.


And that's the point I realised that the plan would have to the thrown out. The floor was rotten under the WC and would need replacing. (So I couldn't simply add 6mm plywood reinforcement over the 18mm chipboard, I would have to go to the backup plan and replace the floorboards with 18mm plywood, which would be more work but better because the floor would be lower).

As for the backup plan? The joist that I had planned to replace the boards up to, wasn't where I thought it was. It was under the bath. So, any opportunity to keep the bath in place until just about everything else was finished was gone.

So the bath came out, and so did the floor.



Some new pipes - moving the radiator.


And a new floor, with new pipes in the right place for the towel rail and sink.


No comments:

Post a Comment