Sunday 30 August 2009

Slow motion

I expected the tiling to go slow, and it is. I've only covered half of the bathroom after a full day at it.

One issue is the large tiles we chose. Almost every tile needs some unusual cut doing to it whereas with small tiles, most cuts are just straight breaks and any odd corner ones are fast to cut because they're small anyway.

I have had some successful tiling however. The holes for the shower outlet look good and it will be easy to get a watertight seal there.

Show outlet


The next issue will be tiling round the extractor fan. I feel the need for a new tool here.

Extractor fan

P.S I notice from the logs that there are quite a few people regularly reading this blog. I once tried to work out who was following it, feel free to add a comment from time to time, whoever you are.

13 comments:

  1. I am wondering... are the tiles too dark? Is it too late to go for a lighter colour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to late at all, "dear". After all, I'm not even half way through. And if we changed them for some smaller profile tiles, I'm sure I'd be finished in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever is quickest, "dear". Just looking forward to being able to shower again, baths are too slow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian - it's all looking great! I can see you are very skilled at DIY - would you like to try a campervan conversion as your next project?!! ;-)

    From Helen - although it won't actually let me just write my name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, finally worked out how to comment!!

    Bathroom is looking good, just make sure its done by next weekend so i can be properly impressed in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Helen: Campervan?? Are you planning something?

    @Phill: unlikely :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raillery!
    Are you going to be putting downlighters in? It looks like it's going to be lovely when its finished!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @GB: probably yes, but I'm looking for some low energy ones. There are plenty of halogen or other filament downlighters, but it seems a lot of energy to light a room by today's standards.

    Also - I want something at least IPX4, if not SELV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad I asked now! Just IPX4 surely IPX5 would be more suitable just incase you have a low pressure water jet squirted at them??

    G

    source:http://www.amdea.org.uk/Forms/Bathrooms_Guidance.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well - yes, I really want a campervan and was wondering if I'd be better off converting one! It said you only needed basic DIY skills - although I think maybe I lack these!! I am very tempted to swap my car for a small one. There are some very nice Fiat Doblo models around. I am excited that my comments have appeared now - although still can't work out how to put my name in properly!!

    Helen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, IPX5 would be better of course. Perhaps I should have said "at least IPX4".

    ReplyDelete
  12. So where are the 5.9 tiles? i was looking forward to seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 5 on the wall opposite the bath, 0.9 on the wall around the bath (in 5 pieces).

    ReplyDelete