Thursday 27 August 2009

Functional

I didn't write anything last night because it took too long to fit a new trap to the bath. You'd think that changing a trap would be easy. But of course not. Somehow, removing the old trap I must have pulled a bit too hard on the waste of the bath. When I fitted the new trap, the seal had gone. 

So out came the bath completely so that I could remove the waste, clean up the silicone and reseal. On that note, the design of the bath waste is rubbish. It needs to make a seal against the bottom of the bath, which is a rough surface made of fibreglass. So the only way to get it watertight seems to be to use lots of silicone. And if that doesn't work, just repeat.

Anyway, after too long, we have a nice, small, watertight trap on the bath. If only I'd done that in the first place then I wouldn't have wasted an evening taking the bath out again.

Also, this one is a slimline one that doesn't need a hole in the floor to accommodate it. If only I'd done that in the first place then I wouldn't have had to cut a hole in the floor, which presumably is now a great place to have a leak.

New trap:

Today, however, was finally a productive evening!

I took the opportunity of the children being happily entertained to use the remaining daylight to cut the worktop for the sink. This was not as easy as you might imagine. Without instructions or a template, I guessed and marked and measured twice and marked and measured twice and marked and measured twice and still got it wrong. (But intentionally, it was the right way sort of wrong, so that was OK.)

So the sink is fitted and tested.  It isn't, however, attached to anything except pipes. I can't see any easy way to attach it to anything; there were no clips, extra bits or even instructions.

And fitting the replacement loo that the nice people at Maddisons delivered was easy. It didn't leak...

So now it's functional. We have a working bath, toilet and sink. 

Functional:


The main remaining jobs are basically (not necessarily in this order):

  • tile the walls (slow and awkward)
  • build some boxing around the pipes (awkward)
  • attach the sink to the unit and the unit to the wall (easy, if I can find some kind of clips)
  • attach the toilet to the wall and floor (easy)
  • fit the towel rail/radiator (easy as long as my guess for where to put the pipes was about right)
  • finish tiling the floor (I have new toys to cut the pipe holes, ebay is great!)
  • shower fitting (apparently, it's "easy fit")
  • finishing touches (erm)

It might be finished by Christmas then.

1 comment:

  1. Functional? You told me not to use the toilet and sink yet (due to the fact that they aren't stable, true).
    Also, Christmas? You think you have that long before I start to nag? I give it a couple of weeks...

    ReplyDelete