Sunday 23 August 2009

Bathroom - day three

Today I had an extra pair of hands; in a few hours we had almost tiled the floor, almost patched the wall where the shower is to go and almost fitted the loo.

1. Almost fitted the loo: needs to be a few inches to the left, with a new waste pipe, but if only I could stop it dripping when it flushes! There's a gasket between the cistern and bowl that just doesn't hold the water back.

Perhaps I'm fitting it wrongly. The toilet comes with very brief fitting instructions. However, I was surprised to find that the toilet seat comes with a 36 page user guide.


2. Almost a floor: time to invest in some new tools. Perhaps a diamond hole saw?


3. Almost patched the wall: close, but not quite flat.

I also discovered that the bath waste leaks. It's not one of the connections that I made, but the pre-assembled connection from the overflow to the waste. Some silicone will help I hope.

2 comments:

  1. great progress! it makes my 18months' work seem a little slow :-)

    With the loo fitting, the flush mechanism will probably screw into the big hole with a rubber seal on the inside and a plastic washer and nut on the outside. Then you put the "cone seal" over the nut on the outside, and this is what seals it to the pan when you do up the two bolts. it has to be the cone seal if it drips "exactly when" you flush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've checked and reset the gasket several times. I've now put some silcone on it (contrary to the instructions) and I'll test it when it's dry when I get home tonight.

    ReplyDelete