Saturday 22 August 2009

Bathroom - day two

It was not a busy day, with a lie-in (late start) and watching Slum Dog Millionaire in the evening instead of working. There was, however, some of progress on the bathroom.

After finishing the floor (screwing it down and some waterproofing), it took me too long to realize that the installation guide for the bath was wrong. The baseboard for the bath (a fundamental, structural part) was not a separate item, as per diagram, but was actually built-in to the fibreglass itself.  

Before fitting the bath, it thought that I would try to fit the shower, while I had good access. The shower came with an "easy-fit" option. I should have taken that with a pinch of salt. "Easy fit" unless you are replacing an old shower, with one pipe coming from above, and the other below, and with the hot and cold the other way round to the old shower.

After a few hours, and accidentally cracking the plasterboard on the other side of the wall, I have the shower plumbed in (at least the back end of it - I suppose that the next step is the "easy fit" bit) and a great hole in the wall to plaster over. I did manage to re-use two of the copper pipes from under the old sink.

And then the joy of flexible tap connectors that are just not quite flexible enough, so you have to extend the copper pipe in odd directions just to get the flexible tap connectors to fit. 

It all seemed OK though, and I finally had a bath tonight. We were only without bath/shower for one day. Not so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment